How Your Oral Health Affects Your Overall Health
Our bodies are machines that have many cogs working together to maintain our overall health. This keeps our bodies working in perfect order and in sync. Unfortunately, this also means that if there is an issue in one place in the body, such as infection, this can spread and cause major health problems.
Many people ignore oral health issues such as gum inflammation, toothache or bleeding gums without understanding the overall health issues they can cause. You wouldn’t ignore inflammation, pain or bleeding from elsewhere on your body so why your mouth?
Gum inflammation or bleeding can be a sign of infection. If infection and bacteria spreads around the body it can cause catastrophic issues, such as:
· Heart disease – caused by bacteria entering the blood stream and arteries in your heart
· Heart attack/stroke – caused by plaque thickening the inner walls of your arteries and restricting blood flow
· Endocarditis – bacteria causing infection of the heart lining
· Dementia – bacteria from gum disease can enter the brain
· Pneumonia – can happen if you have gum disease and are continuously inhaling bad bacteria
All of these problems can be avoided by establishing a good oral health routine and taking care of your teeth and gums. For good oral health you should:
· Brush twice a day
· Floss once a day before bed
· Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash (optional)
· Visit your dentist twice a year
To book a dental check-up in Kettering, contact us now.