What Causes Bad Breath?
Bad breath is a very common occurrence, it is thought that 1 in 4 people worldwide suffer with bad breath regularly.
The most common cause of bad breath is poor oral hygiene and not brushing your teeth twice a day as recommended by dental health experts. Without regular brushing, food particles stay trapped between your teeth and start to smell. This type of bad breath can easily be solved by improving your oral hygiene routine and keeping on top of brushing and flossing.
There are other reasons you may have bad breath:
· Eating a lot of strong-smelling foods
· Dry mouth
· Poor dental hygiene
· Crash diets
· Tonsil stones
You may not be able to identify that you have bad breath yourself. If possible, as a trusted friend or family member to smell your breath. If you are too embarrassed to ask a third party to smell your breath, you can lick your wrist and leave it to dry. Once dry, smell your wrist and see if it smells. If it does smell you likely have bad breath and will need to resolve this.
How To Get Rid Of Bad Breath?
To get rid of bad breath or prevent developing bad breath you should:
· Brush at least twice a day
· Floss once a day before bed
· Regularly clean your dentures/braces
· Change your toothbrush every 2-3 months
· Brush your tongue to remove food debris and bacteria
· Stay hydrated to prevent dry mouth
· Reduce the number of strong-smelling foods in your diet (onions, garlic, etc)
If you fear your have bad breath you should visit your dentist as bad breath can be a sign of gum disease.